It's
been a month since we unsubscribed our DTH connection. It was one of Bharath's hasty decision, feeling unhappy about Srini's cycle test preparation. But having a
month gone by, I realize it was a wise one
The
initial few days left us furious, as it was not only the child that was addicted to
TV but also the elder ones. How come grandparent be restricted from
watching mega serials, super singers or Bhakti specials ? The momentary
decision of his, affecting my parents, didn't
please me much. But they well cooperated and all of us took it as a challenge to
streamline our energy into something else.
It was
disheartening to watch Srinidhi stroll here and there for first 2 days like a sad
puppy missing her favorite cartoons. She has never been fond of afternoon naps. So she swapped her TV time with cycling. When I am back from
office, we together would take up reading for next 1 hr (from my favorite collections). I was surprised by things
falling in place neatly. We had not imagined such transformation in our daily
routine.
Coming
to grandparents.., my mom who would otherwise never step out of house, took up
evening walks and chats with neighbors collecting recipes, planning for evening Bhajans
and temple visits.
Appa on
the other hand, increased his walking time and spent more time with Varsha's cycle rides.
My dear
husband who never in his wildest dreams believed that his family would cope-up with this, was in fact the most affected party :). He believed that I
would persuade him to activate the connection in 2-3 days. He very much missed
his STAR Movies and HBO collections and was puzzled as 'what next'.
But during
weekends, we do feel the boredom strike us. Amma today made us sit in a
circle during lunch time and narrated us 'Sivapuranam and Thruvilaiyadal kadhaigal'. I remembered the 'nila choru' and childhood days when we used to hear these stories almost every night.
So dear frens, plugging-off
the TV did have positives. However, I was tempted to spend more time with
gadgets checking facebook / online news etc. ending up with
headache and eye soreness. But have learnt to pull myself out of it soon and look forward LIFE with more excitement and love.
Regards,
Lavanya
No comments:
Post a Comment