The operation was successful next day and Bharath was given timely information about the progress by doctors and staffs. Aftermath of operation was painful and it took me hrs to regain my composure. Bharath was full of praise for the hospital. While waiting outside the theater he had noticed many patients below poverty line undergoing surgery. Surprised on how they could afford the cost, it was explained that they were treated in a separate division of SRMC which was similar to GH, where the treatment was free of cost except for the pharmacy bills. Cosmetic surgeries for split lips, skin burnt in accidents etc. which would cost a fortune otherwise were treated almost free. WOW, was all we could say.
I requested for one more night stay at the hospital because of the pain, when the doctor paid a visit to the bed. Ready for discharge the next day, Bharath and my father-in-law kept inquiring on the final settlement (?) and discharge summary to the AO (administrative office) ward secretary. After few hours of wait, Bharath handed over to me the final bill for 33k. The reaction in his face was a mixture of confusion, anger and helplessness. I quickly scanned the bill and noticed the total amount to be 29600 though the break up was for 33K. Clueless on the balance amount to be paid (we had paid 15k already) I rushed to the AO myself (Yes I did, forgetting my sutures..). I had also noticed that the room rent for the first day stay was charged as 2700 instead of 1200. The AO secretary simply said - 'Oh, it was a temporary stay is it ?'. I showed her the report sheet where the temporary stay was mentioned and signed by the section in-charge. She quickly amended the bill to be 1500 less and looked at me as if 'What next ?'. I said to her that I require clarifications on the bill details.
I was charged :
General Surgery - 3100
Professional fees - 7500
OB&G Surgery - 6000
Anesthesia charge - 1500
The bill also had considerable portion for operation theater, drugs & disposable charges. I did not understand why was General Surgery and OB&G Surgery mentioned as 2 separate components, when I had undergone just one operation. The ward secretary paused for a second and promptly replied that 3100 was the operation charge and 6000 the cost for the laproscopy equipment(?) involved in the surgery. I pointed to her that those charges were included separately. When the half-an-hour talk turned futile, I rushed to the Gyn to check her influence on the bill. She turned a sorry face :-( but however promised to take our bill to the next board meeting, to express our unhappiness on the exorbitant charges.
On the way back home, I said - 'No wonder, they do free service for the poor'. Bharath had a positive note on this - 'Take it easy. Get some peace thinking that the extra amount you paid helps someone needy.' I didn't know what to comment at his remark.
-The End-
I requested for one more night stay at the hospital because of the pain, when the doctor paid a visit to the bed. Ready for discharge the next day, Bharath and my father-in-law kept inquiring on the final settlement (?) and discharge summary to the AO (administrative office) ward secretary. After few hours of wait, Bharath handed over to me the final bill for 33k. The reaction in his face was a mixture of confusion, anger and helplessness. I quickly scanned the bill and noticed the total amount to be 29600 though the break up was for 33K. Clueless on the balance amount to be paid (we had paid 15k already) I rushed to the AO myself (Yes I did, forgetting my sutures..). I had also noticed that the room rent for the first day stay was charged as 2700 instead of 1200. The AO secretary simply said - 'Oh, it was a temporary stay is it ?'. I showed her the report sheet where the temporary stay was mentioned and signed by the section in-charge. She quickly amended the bill to be 1500 less and looked at me as if 'What next ?'. I said to her that I require clarifications on the bill details.
I was charged :
General Surgery - 3100
Professional fees - 7500
OB&G Surgery - 6000
Anesthesia charge - 1500
The bill also had considerable portion for operation theater, drugs & disposable charges. I did not understand why was General Surgery and OB&G Surgery mentioned as 2 separate components, when I had undergone just one operation. The ward secretary paused for a second and promptly replied that 3100 was the operation charge and 6000 the cost for the laproscopy equipment(?) involved in the surgery. I pointed to her that those charges were included separately. When the half-an-hour talk turned futile, I rushed to the Gyn to check her influence on the bill. She turned a sorry face :-( but however promised to take our bill to the next board meeting, to express our unhappiness on the exorbitant charges.
On the way back home, I said - 'No wonder, they do free service for the poor'. Bharath had a positive note on this - 'Take it easy. Get some peace thinking that the extra amount you paid helps someone needy.' I didn't know what to comment at his remark.
-The End-
No comments:
Post a Comment